My Family

My Family

Thursday, March 19, 2015

An Encounter that Heals

Healing is a funny thing.  Sometimes it happens instantaneously.  Sometimes it happens slowly over time.  Other times, it seems as though it never comes.  I know of some people right now who are praying for physical healing.  Physical healing is something that's usually visible and measurable.  Physical healing is often achievable via medical means--not always, but sometimes.  I pray for my friends who have physical needs because I know the needs are there.  In some cases, they're obvious because of a visible sign or perhaps a hospitalization or appointments with a physician. Not only do we know TO pray for physical needs, but we usually know HOW to pray for physical needs.  If there's pain, we ask the Lord to take it away.  If there's a lack of function of an organ, we ask the Lord to correct the situation or at least enable the doctors to correctly diagnose the problem & work towards a solution.

I my own life, I have experienced physical healing & will never forget the joy that it brought when I realized God had performed a medical miracle.  After the birth of our 2nd biological daughter, I experienced immense lower back pain, which an MRI showed was the result of 1 bulging & 1 crushed disk in my vertebrae.  The next step was surgery.  Following a prayer & anointing, however, I felt my pain gradually disappear.  A 2nd MRI confirmed that the discs "repaired themselves" which I knew meant that the Lord had done a work in my body.  Of course, I praised Him & we shared our miracle with as many people as we could.  There was no social media at the time, so it was limited to just people I could physically see or telephone the "old fashioned" way.  Nevertheless, we celebrated that healing in every way that was available to us at the time.

As much joy as that healing brought to me, there has been a MUCH greater, more significant healing within me which has taken years for the Lord to perform.  The Lord has healed me to the point that I am not even a recognizable version of the girl I used to be.  As a child, I was broken.  Circumstances beyond my control altered me in such a way that I was forced to take every measure possible to shield myself from further hurt.  I lived my childhood & teen years surrounded by a protective covering of laughter & activity, never truly opening myself up to anyone.  I never truly felt "safe" anywhere.  I never truly experienced "trust" with another human.  I never felt "worthy" of anything good & I certainly never saw myself as having any real "value" to anyone other than my parents.

Not even really knowing that I was broken, I didn't actually seek after healing, per se, but rescue.  In my seeking for rescue, I found the One I knew held my solution in the palm of His hands.  Hour after hour, night after night, I spent listening to music & just being held by my Savior.  There are people who claim that the Holy Spirit is imaginary, but once you find yourself physically held by Him, there will never be a shred of doubt in your mind that He's absolutely real.

Heading into college, I had an assurance that the Lord would take care of me, regardless of the fact that my family could not support me financially.  I knew because that same One who held me all those years was speaking to me & giving me the courage to do something that I never would have done on my own.  In college, I had countless decisions to make regarding my future.  A future I only wanted to spend with the One who held me.  For the first time, He brought me to a place where I could finally be "real" with someone.  He enabled me to open up for the first time about my brokenness.  These people held me up in prayer & I will forever be thankful for their friendship at such a critical period of my life.

Today, I can tell you that I have been healed.  I am whole.  I cannot point to a scar & tell you HOW God did whatever He did, but I can tell you with unspeakable JOY, that it happened.  I can also tell you that He does this kind of thing ALL THE TIME.  It's kind of His specialty.  Just ask the Woman at the Well.  She had wounds within her that she couldn't even put her finger on, but Jesus could.  He not only put His finger on them, but He HEALED them.  She left the well that day one hundred percent different from the way she came.

I say all that to say this:  You or I never know what someone is carrying around within them.  Behind that smile & those sparkly eyes may be someone with brokenness who desperately needs an encounter with the One who can bring healing to their soul.  You could be the one the Lord uses to bring Himself to those who need Him most.  Listen more than you speak.  Love more than you correct.  Learn more than you teach.

If you're that one who's still carrying around your hurt & brokenness, I can tell you that life on the other side of that is SO MUCH better than holding onto it.  Open yourself up to an encounter that will bring you healing.  There's so much freedom once you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment