My Family

My Family

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

HOPE

"Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of things unseen."  Hebrews 11:1

Hope is a dear friend of mine.  Someone who, first, sat with me during some of the darkest days of my childhood.  In those days, I thought for sure I was all alone. I thought I was useless, broken.  Hope reminded me that the Lord promised to never leave us or forsake us.  Hope told me that not only was the Lord WITH me, but He had a huge plan for my future.  Even as a child, I was thankful for those reminders.

I clung to those promises day after lonely day until the first time I actually FELT His presence.  The warmth of His arms around me brought a peace to my heart that I can never adequately express.  The coolness of His Spirit in my room that day renewed me & filled me until I could no longer contain the joy of His presence any more.  I couldn't wait to share with Hope that it finally happened.  He FINALLY came!  Hope was not surprised, but was certainly thrilled that I had truly found the only One who could pour enough of Himself into me to fill all those broken places within.  Hope & I shared together the joy from those moments I had experienced with my Savior.  Hope reminded me that this would not be the only time I would ever need to come to Him; but that even when darker days would come, He would always be right there.

Hope was right.  I never was alone.  I grew up knowing Hope, but more importantly, knowing the One who brought Hope into my life in the first place.  Sure, there were more difficult days to come, but Hope ALWAYS reminded me of that first significant encounter with the One I needed most.  Hope never let me forget my need for more days like that.  Hope was what carried me through the hollow numbness following the deaths of our unborn children.  Hope celebrated with my husband & I when we finally looked into the perfect little face of our firstborn son.  Hope carried me through little things like sleepless nights & laundry woes and Hope carried me through bigger things like schooling, job changes, & the life altering decision to do foster care & adoption.

I have to say that there have definitely been days over the years when I honestly couldn't FEEL the Lord in the room with me, but Hope has been faithful to remind me that He was there.  By experience, I know I can trust Hope.  I have never actually SEEN Hope, but Hope has never disappointed me in the past & I have no reason to believe that Hope will disappoint me in the future.

"Therefore, since we have been justified through faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have gained access by faith into this grace in which we now stand. And we boast in the hope of the glory of God.  Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance, perseverance, character; & character, hope.  And hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us."  Romans 5:1-5



No comments:

Post a Comment